Monday 18 September 2017

Solar Eclipse



Image may contain: sky, cloud, tree, outdoor and nature



Sadly not here in the UK but my friends in the US had a great time when they were able to observe a total solar eclipse in August.



Image may contain: 6 people, people smiling, people sitting, hat, outdoor and nature














Image may contain: sky

I used to teach in Tennessee and one of my friends from over there sent me  a couple of sheets of their commemorative stamps.
 I am not sure if they are supposed to go on the front of a letter or to be kept. Someone - clever person - has had the great idea to use thermochromic technology to create a stamp that looks black - just like a total eclipse sun but when warmed up changes to an image of the moon.
They are brilliant!

I intend to use one sheet when we go into schools and show how science is working with modern techniques and materials. We have a few interesting things that use thermochromic technology and also a few that use hydrochromic technology - my favourite is our new rainbow umbrella!


our thermochromic mug in action




I love it when science and the everyday overlap. It is great to be able to explain how something works.


No comments:

Post a Comment